Well, the dust has finally settled on our first annual Geeks and Nerds Summer Gala. As predicted, the night was loud, sweaty, fun and just a little bit odd…in a good way.
I observed some sweet costumes from obscure sci-fi shows, Pirates of the Caribbean, 30 Rock, and others. I observed a great many conversations between people who had never met before, and further bonding by folk who had met but never really had a chance to get to know each other.
And there was great music by The Parker Avenue band. We were their second-ever gig, but they played like pros. And DJs @5ivefingaz, (aka U Bridgeport grad student Rafael Santana) and his friend @djdaledaniels did a phenomenal job of keeping the dance floor filled.
Before anything else, I must thank our Gala committee. Christine Labate (Designs for Growth) was our event chair and took the lead on branding and newsletters (and wrestled with me over copy). Decorations were courtesy of the wildly talented Jadu Durrans, artist, photographer, and dog-loving entrepreneur. Party help came from Michael Kheyfets,who brought many good ideas and helped with the marketing.
Now on to our generous sponsors. The HR department at Priceline.com was the main driver behind Priceline’s sponsorship of the event. We’ve been spending time with them lately and they are a class organization. We are looking forward to more collaboration. The CT Technology Council came in with some dollars and marketing support, Sir Speedy did a bunch of beautiful printing, and Natasha Miller of Tashography took some truly gorgeous photos that you can find in the gallery below. Drinks and deliciousness were provided by Half Full Brewery, Spiked Seltzer, Baked by Marcella, and Fairway Market Catering. As always, we extend our thanks to the folks at Shipman & Goodwin and McCarter & English for their support of our crazy parties and our tamer, everyday ventures. And to Cowork CT, our partner and friends in the entrepreneurial spirit.
Here’s to next year!
Press for the 2014 Geeks and Nerds Gala:
- Fairfield County Business Journal: “‘Squares’ Conspire to Party at Stamford Innovation Center
- Stamford Advocate: The Week in Photos – Geeks and Nerds Gala
- Stamford Daily Voice: Stamford Innovation Center Hosts ‘Geeks and Nerds Gala’
- Fairfield Country Business Journal: Stamford Innovation Center Event Attracts 150 ‘Geeks and Nerds’
- Stamford Daily Voice: ‘Geeks and Nerds’ Convene at Stamford Innovation Center
- The Whiteboard: Tech Gives Back: Stamford Innovation Center Provides Donations to Future 5 and CT Veterans Legal Center
- Stamford Advocate: Stamford Innovation Center Doles Out $3000 to Non-profits