Storied Past, Innovative Future
The original Town Hall of Stamford, Connecticut was opened on November 1, 1871 on the corner of Atlantic and Main Street. It was a red brick building in Second Empire and Victorian Gothic style.
In February 1904, the structure caught fire and all but the shell remained as ash.In 1905 architects Edgar Josselyn and Nathan Mellon were hired to design a new town hall, which is the one that remains today at 175 Atlantic Street.
It is a three-story building in Beaux Arts style, which was a very popular style of architecture at the turn of the twentieth century.
After World War II though, this building simply could not accommodate the increasing demand for municipal services and offices in the growing City of Stamford. The city officials and Mayor got dispersed to other buildings on and off Atlantic Street.
In 1961, the city purchased 429 Atlantic Street from Hartford Electric Light Company to serve as offices for the growing government.
By 1963, the only city operations left in Old Town Hall were the town clerk, the judge of probate, and the registrars of voters.
In 1972, there was a movement to preserve this beautiful building and it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1986, the city purchased the modern office building at 888 Washington Boulevard and moved all the city government offices and the Mayor to this current location.
From around 1988 the Old Town Hall was vacant. In 2008, the city of Stamford began a program to restore the building and put it into good use. The Old Town Hall Redevelopment Authority was created to oversee the project and find suitable tenants. The Stamford Innovation Center and our community are the fortunate recipients of the hard work of OTHRA and the City of Stamford and we appreciate, love and leverage this remarkable building almost every day. We host dozens of workers in downtown Stamford every day, and dozens of event attendees each month.